Monday, January 31, 2005

Who Needs Peace (When We're All Dead)?

I've had the undying pleasure of encountering perhaps the most uninspiring motivational speaker of my young life in the past month. While the topics ranged from peace on earth to dealing with global emotional crises, they seemed to bear a common thread. That thread being their shared grip on reality (and just as strong too). As she graced the towering podium, I writhed and twisted and sighed with each word - each idea that cast her farther from the real world. She spoke of spreading worldly harmony. She took defiant stands in the names of justice and liberty. She was engaging, enthused, intense. She was completely and utterly out of touch with the real world. However, she did manage to bring to mind a major point that I feel needs sharing. Therefore, as I sit before this screen, bearing truth, I'll share that point with you now.

The marvelous lady who graced my ears with her visions of happiness and peace and love for everyone presented a very lovely image. Everyone wants peace, it's a given. Nobody likes war. That is also a given (my apologies to sociopathic warlords everywhere). However, as wonderful as peace and love sound - the reality of such things occurring without major changes in global structure is anything but. As I understand it, peace is nice. Peace is nice until someone cuts my head off. I'm hoping I'm not bitterly alone in feeling quite attached to my head, but I won't be surprised if such is the case. What our female speaker fails to recognize is that she's preaching the choir. Who's done more for the spreading of world peace than modern-day Christians? No one. Why then, I ask you, am I being advocated to stop the foolery and start promoting peace - in a Catholic church nonetheless? Come on, it's been over a month since I last promoted nuclear war, genocide, global famine, injustice, and hatred. Seriously people, if there's any demographic that needs the peace talk, it's radical Islam.

Radical Islam is the enemy of the world. Yes, the walls are shaking, the ground is quaking, and your liberal eyes can't believe what they've just read. But, sadly, it's true. Radical Islam is the root of global terror. And no, President Bush's supposed "oil lust", neither explains nor justifies Abu Masab al-Zarqawi's longing to sever my head. Why doesn't that peaceful speaker travel to Jordan, Syria, Sudan, or Mosul and tell radical Muslims that they need to "cool it"? Why doesn't she call that Bin Laden fellow and finally set him straight? I can tell you why. 1) She'd be laughed at. 2) She'd be killed. That, my friends, is why she calls for peace in all the wrong places. It's a simple equation, really: subtract radical Islam from the globe, keep your head safe.

America's a rather safe place. America also makes a damn good enemy - especially for proponents of global peace (including the naive ones). What better target than a nation which crushes families, bombs civilians, and discriminates against pretty much everyone who's not white. That's the problem here. My peace speaker fails to see the enemies for what they really are - enemies. To her they're just fun-loving, average people (who also happen to be brainwashed psychos itching to destroy the West). In this perpetual rationalization and justification, America isn't the glorious nation it once was. No no, it's just as a good, if not worse, than the cesspools of terror that seek to destroy our way of life.

It's our way of life that allows these people to operate and murder and terrorize the world. I simply cannot understand how that speaker can fail to accept America's defense of her own ideals, sanctity, and honor. There's no honor in humiliation - out and out defeat. Radical Islam wants to annihilate you, me, the Cookie Monster, and yes, Mrs. Peace herself. So let Mrs. Peace preach and dance and hide behind the American Flag she publicly burns. Let Mrs. Peace connotate my American brothers and sisters to the radicals who want to cut my head off. Let Mrs. Peace spread her word to the people who need to hear it.

I don't.


5 Comments:

At 3:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You, sir, are an idiot. If I ever want to waste another seven minutes of my life reading backwards dribble like that, I think I'd rather go spend five dollars on a People Magazine.

 
At 7:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sean, you're my hero. I loved it! You tell it like it is. -Adrian

 
At 9:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didnt really like it or dislike it sean...youre so cynical...but you already knew that

 
At 10:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

whoa dude, whoever wrote that first comment has a seriously huge stick up his ass. and i think he likes it... o well. so yea, i really didnt read ure entry, i just feel like writing here anyway.ok, i know u know all about that 3 question thing and since u dont have a journal im gonna ask u here. i dont care if u answer them or not, im just bored and feel like asking some questions. ok, so....
1. how do u always have like so much energy for like everything??
2. hows life??
3. whats it like to have an accent mark in ure name??

k, i just felt like doing that. i dunno. annnnnd... ummmm... go moderate democrats!!!! whooooooo!!!

 
At 11:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I agree with you that she was a rather uninspiring speaker. I honestly can’t remember anything she said, unlike the MLK Day speaker from a couple of years ago that revealed exactly what Jesus meant when he said, “turn the other cheek.” But I disagree with you when you say that Americans don’t need to be preached to about peace. It’s true: “Nobody likes war.” Nobody really likes poverty, hunger, pollution, racism, corruption, etc, either. The problem is none of us want to be bothered to do anything about the problems we see in the world. Instead we spend most of our time looking out for Numero Uno: ourselves. Meanwhile, there are holes in our ozone, the number of overweight people has finally caught up to the number of undernourished, people are slaughtered by their own government, yadda yadda yadda. Now, you may think I’ve painted a rather liberal and, admittedly, limited picture of the world, but you have to admit these are problems. And maybe, just maybe, the U.S. contributes to some of them. On the topic of peace I just don’t have your confidence in our country’s perfect record. You can check back in the history books, but in foreign policy, the U.S. seems to use its power to protect its financial and political interests, not promote freedom, democracy, and self-determination. It usually blows up in our face later on. Funny, but for some reason Iraq comes to mind. We supported Saddam when we knew he used chemical and biological weapons on the Iranians and even his own people and that he already was thinking about developing a nuclear weapons program. We even helped him out a bit: “The administrations of Ronald Reagan and George H.W. Bush authorized the sale to Iraq of numerous items that had both military and civilian applications, including poisonous chemicals and deadly biological viruses, such as anthrax and bubonic plague.” –Washington Post (I think the Washington Post is pretty reliable. I didn’t want you to dismiss my quotes as completely biased liberal bilge.) Personally I find this next tidbit of information rather creepy: “Among the people instrumental in tilting U.S. policy toward Baghdad during the 1980-88 Iran-Iraq war was Donald H. Rumsfeld.” –Washington Post Of course the invasion of Kuwait made him an overnight enemy, but the fact is that we supported Suddam because it was advantageous for us. Because we thought it would stop the flow of radical Islam to the rest of the Middle East, we supported this evil dictator that we just spent millions of dollars and thousands of lives booting out of power. Now, I’ll admit Sean that you keep better track of current events and history than I do, but for some reason I think we should be kicking ourselves in the ass right now. I think Americans do need to be preached to about promoting peace. Because until we start practicing what we preach all the time (you know, freedom, democracy, self-determination, human rights, and civil liberties) and begin searching for political solutions that work well for everyone, not just us, we must continue to mop up problems that we contribute to. --Laura

 

Post a Comment

<< Home