Thursday, December 30, 2004

One More Day

As 2004 slowly winds down, and Christmas of this year slips slowly into the backrooms of our minds, it's increasingly clear that we've only got so much time left. Whether it's high school, college, or life in general, time escapes us - with or without Dick Clark. I've been blogging for quite some time now, and though this is the first New Year we'll ring in together, I extend a sincere and hearty thank you to all my readers. Without you, I'd not have been read. Actually, I'm not convinced that I'm being read now, but with all things considered, I'll go right ahead and tell myself what I want to hear. So, thanks again to all of you who make this blog semi-worthwhile. Still undecided whether it's late-night delirium or prospective paranoia, I'm not entirely sold on what the future has to offer. Eventually the world's going to end. That's in the future. Sometime the sun will expire and we'll suffocate and die. That's in the future. And, slightly more depressing, a Democrat will probably win another presidential election. (Hopefully) that's (not) in the future. But, regardless of affiliation and natural science, the future does have one thing set in stone. And that would be nothing. Yes, for the time being I'm fully assuming nothing to mean something, and if this makes any sense then I'm amazed. To clarify, I probably mean that 2005 could be a year of triumphant successes and humiliating defeats, or both. However, fully predicting any option as the route your life will take is simply impossible. The future, the matters of fact that we desperately long to familiarize ourselves with, is exactly what it is: yet to happen.

Notice, as I jump around from topic to topic, that I've posted this entry with one day remaining in the year 2004. As I was thinking of some sort of theme for this message, I was just carousing the page and noticed the date of publication. Roughly three in the morning, December 30, 2004, I'm sitting here without a clue as to what I'm actually talking about. But, the sheer terror that might befall some in my situation is actually having little of that effect. To be quite honest, I rather enjoy not knowing where I'm going, and I hope you all feel the same way. I've been traversing the confines of my mind, presumably maturing from the adolescent posts of way-back-when. I've mentioned snowdays and mirrors and sappy sonnets, but when I think about it, I wasn't selling myself to anyone, nor was I setting camp in the places I wanted to be. This year, 2004, has seen me expand my reaches from meaningless drivel and hasn't seen me stop. I should hope that meaningless drivel continues to flow from my fingertips and into the minds of all of you because, as I've realized, meaningless drivel is the essence of this site. More than that; it's the essence of me. In order to attain whatever goal it is I want, I've got to write myself to the top of that summit. And, with this realization becoming clearer and clearer as I go on and on, where that summit rests is somewhere I've never been. The funny thing is, and this is more sage advice than anything, I know that I won't enjoy the summit unless I enjoy the climb. Yes, sometimes the climb more keenly resembles a steep, steep decline into godknowswhere, but all in all, I'm still climbing - and you're still here. Needless to say, I've enjoyed myself, and it's been a pleasure to enjoy myself in the company of such a delightful reader base.

One thing about the future is that it's always there - even if we're not. With one day left in the 2004th year AD, the concept of 2005 is wholly material and real. Friends, with one more day left before the future arrives, if I fail to see it's arrival - it still comes. And with that coming there's hope. There's always hope. We've heard it time and time again: hope is always there. Hope, hope, hope, blah, blah, blah. I hate to admit it, but it's true. The conceptual 2005 shouldn't been pre-determined for misery before it sets foot inside our active calendars. On the contrary, 2005 should be welcomed as an opportunity to start anew, with hope. So, with one day left before the future is no longer so distant, it's time we realize what it is for which we hope. Do we hope for love, peace, and a Conservative dynasty in Washington Politics? I sure as hell do. Yes, with one day left before we start all over again, why don't we ponder just exactly what that means. Start all over again. And rather than starting with the notion of having one day to right the wrongs of 364, let's have 364 to right the wrongs of one.

Happy New Year.

8 Comments:

At 1:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like your style of wayward thinking, which subsequently leads to wayward writing. A get a sense of sincerity that you might not find in other blogs. I appreciate your opinions, although I disagree with your brief resentment of the democratic party... I could go on for about an hour about Bush's faults, but I digress. Overall, I enjoyed the passage, as well as many of your others. Keep up the good work, Seany boy.


Will Prapestis
Bassist and vocalist of The Granfalloons

 
At 1:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whatever the future does bring, I hope that you keep writing, meaningless drivel or not. Because as long as you keep writing, I'll keep reading. Happy new year Sean, and I hope your wishes of love, peace, and a conservative dynasty in Washington politics come true. :)

 
At 8:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You said you needed comments. Well, I came through, didn't I?! -KTO

 
At 11:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sean, remember this, when life gets you down, think "big tits" It always seems to help

 
At 7:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Sean - Good luck on your future writing.

 
At 1:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sean,
what can i say?? if this writing that u have no clue what ure talking about, i have to see something u write that u actually think about. pretty much everything in here makes sense to some extent, although having a democrat president would be a welcomed change... lol, god, ure such a republican. i know people dont comment on ure bloggy thingy that often, probly because many people go straight for the livejournals. its like a bug to a bright light, or... any easily amused individual and a bright light. we just flock there, its where all the drama is, and thats what people love to read about, drama. perhaps u can start entering ure thoughts onto ure journal name again, perhaps that will get noticed a little more?? i dunno, i know u are strongly opposed to journals, dunno why, its pretty much the same thing, but its ure perogative, go for it. yes, another year has come and gone. its had its ups and downs, but overall i thought this past year was alright. it did go by fast, but it wasnt too bad while it lasted. i like how u put that one part in ure blog thing, "one thing about the future is that its always there - even if were not." that really hit home for me. i dunno why, but it got me thinking about my life, and how insignificant it really is. the universe will continue to revolve, even after our death. nothing catastrophic will become of this world even when we are "pushing up daisies". were just here, borrowing energy for a period of time until we expire and release that life force back into the heavens. not to bring down anyone, thats the least of my intentions, but if u really think about it, in the big picture, i think were all kinda insignificant. were not the only intelligent life in the universe. there are billions upon billions of stars and planets that it is impossible that life does not exist elsewhere. and... i wouldnt doubt they have the same belief in one, all-powerful God, they can intelligently communicate, and they can love one another. i wouldnt doubt that theres another species out there that looks and acts exactly like human beings. ok, i think i got way off track of what i was origionally talking about, but o well. all im saying is we really need to think about all the shit we complain about. in the big picture, its just childish and immature. i think thats what i was getting at, i dunno, does it make sense at all?? probly not, i just kinda started rambling on there. well, later dude, keep writing, u got some interesting stuff on ure mind. o, and common man, what r we gonna do without dick clark counting down our new years. i mean its like a ritual, regis is just uncalled for.

later

bill

 
At 11:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hm....perhaps you're a bit down because you feel you aren't listened to? I think that you're just following in every great writer's footsteps, because they were all not paid attention to in their time. You're bound to make a classic!

 
At 10:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Sean, I didn't know you were desperate for comments. Here is one I wrote a long time ago but couldn't figure out how to post because I am technologically challenged. I think it was a response to you ranting about live journals, which I think I confuse with blogs in this comment, just another sign that computers and I were not meant to be. --Laura

Sean! Do not despair!

Sean! Guess what, I read your blog. Actually, I’ll admit that I didn’t know that blog was short for Web Log. Thank you for making me more computer literate. I also didn’t know that most people use them as open diaries. I only know of three blogs though and one I forgot how to get to and the other I never knew how to get to. I forgot how to get to Christine’s, which is okay because the four entries I read weren’t very mentally engaging. And I never knew how to get to Chaz’s. So I only read yours and began to think that these blogs were avenues of self-expression not medians to relate the day-to-day happenings of an individual’s pathetic existence. Well, I’m glad you only use yours when you have something to say. Or when you’re bored at two in the morning, because that can be pretty interesting too. Please don’t despair and start catering to the drama-craving masses.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home