Thursday, December 23, 2004

Let Me Tell You

To keep the chain of seasonal Christmas posts going, I've decided to sneak in one last entry. Although I haven't really decided what to post about, I know that there are millions of adoring fans who just might kill themselves if I abstain for too long. Abstain - from the blog that is. Ok, awkward inuendoes, that's enough of that. It's seems that Christmas this year is somehow different than years prior. Maybe it's the fact that this could very well be the last Christmas I ever have. No, I don't mean that I'm going to die before next December. I'm talking about conversion. I could just as easily convert to Judaism and celebrate that one holiday they have - Charmichael I think it is. Or, and this would be fun, I could very well become African-American and enjoy Kwami. Or I could baske in the faith of Islam and practice Ramada. There's nothing an over-commercialized holiday to toast my insides and make me smile. The sad part about it: I'm not kidding.

There's always been something about Christmas, especially commercial Christmas, that makes everything seem right in the world. Sure, the whole thing about giving and praying and Jesus is nice, but there's nothing better than seeing Santa on a 2 litre of Coke. And I'm not the only one to think so. All of the corporate execs in my choir group happen to feel the same way. It's actually quite nice. Anyway, Christmas is certainly the time of year that, for some reason or another, drives people completely insane. I'm not sure why this is, or how it started, or what it means, but it's never bothered me - at all. Maybe it's because my mom's done all my shopping for me. Maybe it's because I can't even spell Sohp, let alone do it. Maybe it's because I somehow run out of money in between December 15 and December 26. I'm not really sure, and to be honest, I don't really care. All I know is that Christmas comes, I get things, and I'm happy. Isn't that the true purpose of Christmas: to make me happy? It was the last time I checked, and it should be still.

However, as I've progressed intellectually and matured mentally and all of that nice stuff that comes with age, Christmas has definitely become a more extroverted holiday. Oh God, here comes an overly-emotional dedication to one of my more loyal readers. But never fear, I should hope that namedropping need not apply to this segment. What I would like to say, as Christmas creeps closer and closer, is that Christmas is never better spent than spent with someone else. As cliche and overused as it may be (and you know what I'm talking about), it's true. It's true, it's true, it's true. It's a fact of life, at least of my life, that giving a gift and receiving an intangible response, something that can't be wrapped or bowed or returned at the store is much more desirable than opening meaningless packages with perishable items.

If there's one thing that Christmas brings, besides Coke, it's the yearning for someone to brighten a day that seems lost. It's the comfort of knowing that there's someone out there who thinks of you just as much as you think of them (and it's a helluva lot). It's the ease of relaxing one on one and knowing that time is finally on your side - at least for the time being. And, of course, it's knowing that Christmas doesn't have to be but once a year. At least I hope not.

3 Comments:

At 12:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Christmas makes me so happy...
What I like about intangible gifts is that they can be given at any time of the year, without reason, except to make somebody smile, which is the best gift to receive anyways. At least its the best one i've ever gotten, its been lasting me 3 months, and I have a good feeling that its not done. Merry Christmas :))))))))))

 
At 1:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sean, you are a genious. There is no other way of saying it. Your insights are as if spoken by an omnipotent force that governs all our actions. You are so smart, it's scary.
Keep up the good work, and the Coke advertisments.
-Nick

 
At 11:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

although i don't care enough to do a point by point rebuttal of each and every one of your conservative posts, i definately could. you really don't know what you're talking about when it comes to politics. granted, you are a good writer, and clearly give the impression you've got your ideas in order.. you obviously haven't researched your opinion very vigorously. If you have researched your opinion it was only for the clear focus of your passages, because anybody of 25 years or younger in the right wing is merely casting a vote against themselves. Although there have been isolated incidents throughout the democratic party, the right wing is far more corrupted than the liberals will ever be. As for your posts, i find myself more and more offended and frustrated after reading each post. Not only are you completly blind sided you argue mindlessly without any backups to your point, and the backups you have are not necessarily strong or even true. Unfortunately they are well written enough that a normal person will not argue. as good of a writer as you are, i must admit you cast a web of shame to all youth with your narrow conservative viewpoints. You don't even seem to see the other side. newsflash: there is another one, and it's more optimistic, more hopeful, and more christian than the conservative right ever will be. asking to increase the funding to the tsunami efforts and asking to increase funding for welfare (which by the way is not being abused for the most part that is a myth)... helping people is one of the most basic principles of christianity that people often forget and is often overshadowed by the conservative agendas of pro-life and anti-gay marriage, please don't get me started on those. anyways, my point is that although you're a good writer, you've really got nothing to say since your opinions are bullshit you got from your parents.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home