Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Goodburger

Sometimes I wonder if updating frequently is the right thing to be doing. Often times I find myself repressing the urge to write because I don't have a clear cut purpose when I start. You can all testify as to just how successful that repression can be. But, on a serious note, I'm strangely torn between writing as often as I possibly can and holding back in fear of quantity threatening quality. Nights like tonight find me sitting on the couch, laptop on, well, my lap, impatiently watching my elbow twitch, all the while hoping/waiting for inspiration to strike. I wouldn't go so far as to say it struck this evening, but I've come to realize that you sometimes have no choice but to forge your own inspiration. It seems the more I type, the more comfortable I become with the direction in which I'm heading. Although the occasional roadblock leads me straight to backspace, I can feel myself forming some sort of groove. I'm sure you're all thrilled.

I've been debating whether or not to start documenting my pre-move preparations, and I'm fairly sure I won't be doing it. I've yet to be hit by the fact that I'm leaving this behind (America, friends, family), and the simple truth that I am indeed leaving doesn't justify writing about emotions I've yet to experience. Perhaps in a week or so, when each following weekday will be my last in the country, I'll be more apt to write about it. But, until then, I'm forcing you to endure just a few more posts of mindlessness.

The innate desire to write something profound every time I log on is starting to cripple my ability to write anything at all. I find myself writing either about wanting to write, or my inability to write, and all the while I'm struggling to say much of anything at all. In fact, these past three sentences are a prime example of just that. Yet, there's a strange feeling that develops around this time of night, a feeling that I can't quite describe. It's a feeling of ironic importance, ironic probably because I'm sitting in my basement in the wee hours of the morning typing to a world that hasn't the slightest idea I exist, but never forgetting that I've got important things to say (regardless of the fact that I don't know what those things are). I get the impression that If I just keep typing, keep putting forth ideas, that someday the right words will form themselves.

There are indeed fears, however, that talking for the mere sake of talking, through writing ideas in hopes of finding the right ones by process of elimination, that I'll lose the patience to learn, the patience to hear what I haven't heard, and the patience to listen when I do. Believe it or not, I struggle with this godforsaken blog. I struggle with the fact that I might not be very good at what it is I feel destined to be doing. I struggle with the fact that my preconceived notions of the world might be a gun pointed at my foot only to be fired when I come face to face with a reality I could never have predicted. In case I haven't been clear enough, writing is a struggle.

No, the above paragraph was not a written example of a nervous breakdown, so feel free to tuck away your teen-help-line phone numbers for at least another post. Although I appreciate the widespread concern, trust me, if the cheese starts slipping from the patty (or patty from the bun, for that matter) - you'll be the first to know.

3 Comments:

At 11:26 AM, Blogger Rose said...

I was disappointed that this post had actually very little to do with burgers.

 
At 12:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well Sean, I was reading this post and I must confess this one really didnt catch me like the other ones. Although when I was in the middle of it, it did inspire me to start writing something. You were talking about ireland and I was thinking of how you should start your first post when you get there but I decided to use the idea for myself. Maybe you should wait a week or so to write another post considering i feel that the most recent arent nearly as good as the ones that you started off with. They seem to be losing the spark you once started to have. Dont get me wrong... they are still very good just not as appealing.
I still look forward to reading your future posts. lol. thanks for keeping me entertained. :)

 
At 1:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good lord.. until this moment I had no idea the profound depths a goodburger could take us.. I better watch that movie again!

Sean, no matter what youre writing about it always seems to have a point, even if you are simply writing about writing. Thats what I love about your writing.. the repetition of this paragraph is killing me..

Honestly, youve always been one of my favorite writers, if you crapped out a book right now I would probably read it just because I know there is going to be some underlying message. I dont even know if you go into your blog with a theme in mind, half of the time it doesnt seem like it, but theres still truth in all your words.

I wish the best for you in Ireland, im sure whatever you end up doing youll take the challenge head on. Might I suggest a journalism or any path that involves taking a thought and transcribing it on paper, because thus far, Ive yet to find an equal to your profound capability to do so.

If you decide to throw a going away bash let me know, ill for sure be there, and if not, I would still love to be graced with your presence at least once more before your departure. I hope well cross paths again someday, Id hate to lose a friend to a couple thousand miles..

That being said.. thanks a ton for giving me hope you wrote an analytical journal on the underlying infrastructure of Goodburger.. you got my hopes up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home