Saturday, December 02, 2006

Wild and Free

I keep telling myself to keep this short and sweet, and while I have every intention of doing so, something deep down is telling me to stop lying to myself. It's getting fairly late, or early depending on your side of the day, and in lieu of my tired mind, I'll let my fingers do the talking. I don't particularly have any long-winded plans for this post, but if some trace of breeze should catch the sails, it's probably out of my hands.

I had the idea of writing about change, more importantly, our ability to subconsciously adapt to change. At this point in the night, I can't quite recall if I've touched on this in recent posts. If so, just entertain me and keep reading. If not, just entertain me and keep reading. Not to get overly personal and melodramatic, but the past few months have been a time of constant change. Pieces of my family have moved on for a time, I'm left alone with my thoughts much more than any sane man should be, and while I'm sure all you readers couldn't give a fiddler's fart, I'm hoping for a little grace - just this once. It's funny to think what little can be done when change is inevitable. Well, I suppose that would make sense. Inevitability is a rather concrete concept. But, to think that the world changes, we change, without our direct consent can be a rather frightening idea. Even more frightening is the notion that as negative or positive as change may be, we get used to it. It's a startling fact of life that makes about as much sense as Saved by the Bell: The New Class.

Laying in bed the other night, going over the usual pre-sleep thought checklist, I wondered what things might be like hadn't they changed. To be perfectly honest, with 3/5 of your immediate family living in a foreign country, one gets used to the new-found space - which touches back on the above paragraph. When the world failed to end following their departure to Ireland, and the initial shock gradually wore off, routines started to form, trends took shape. Simply put, I got used to not having them around (for better or worse). My lifestyle obviously changed, and those closest to me, as well. But laying there in bed, imagining them coming home and resorting to the life I once considered "normal", I couldn't for the life of me fathom it. I can hardly remember it, let alone bother realistically picturing myself in it. Like I said, it's peculiar what change, and a little bit of time, can do to the psyche.

I'm pretty sure that about sums up everything I had to say. For those who don't know, I'll be joining the 3/5 in Ireland in roughly three weeks - which will probably prove to be a culture shock in more ways than the obvious. I suppose my pre-sleep pondering will come true for a while, and in a completely different environment than I could have predicted, but I'm nevertheless embarking with a different perspective.

Well, it's always encouraging to know that I've got a nice place to come and blab (as short or long-winded as need be) and hopefully a few folks who don't mind the suffering. It's equally encouraging to know that some things may never change.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home