Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Till Human Voices Wake Us

Every now and then we all need a little mindless excursion to distract us from the throes of average life. Mindlessness never seemed to be a problem when it came to this blog, but maybe this time I'll write for myself as well as all of you. I've never been a strong believer in the "ignorance is bliss" ideal, but for the sake of taking a few seconds to enjoy an otherwise depressingly dreary day I'm willing to make an exception. Hopefully you'll join me.

I'll be the first to admit that these posts might not be the most light-hearted little ditties you've ever read, although I try to maintain a sense of humor throughout it all - perhaps gallows humor at that, but humor nonetheless. With that said, I've been thinking about taking some time to just write for a while, without any particular point (much like usual), but not for the sake of stumbling onto the latest philosophical epiphany. I'm offering a simple diversion, a pleasant little trip out of the ordinary and into a realm of consciousness that doesn't focus on the questions we can't answer, but answers we don't have to question. Personally, by spending this time not writing about anything particular I can take some time to focus on absolutely nothing. It's rather joyous, actually, thinking about nothing. I like to consider it a triumphant victory over one's own willingness to focus on the negative.

Strangely enough, in the midst of my writing about writing about nothing, I've developed an idea for a piece, perhaps my next one. Times like these find me hoping I can hold everything together long enough only to drop it on the page later, not really concerning myself with the order in which it lands, but being able to hang on at all. There seems at times to be a surreal pool of topics from which to choose. Is the world full of the same problems repeating themselves, or is the number of worthy things to say simply too immense, clogging my ability to pick just one? Sometimes I'm impressed with the world's efforts in avoiding nihilistic delusions, and other times I'm upset with the world's fondness for nihilistic delusions. But, despite the mire and muck and filth and folly, the fact that I can sit here, writing for myself and the few of you out there that actually care, all the while making a conscious decision to turn my back on the world for 25 microscopic but momentous minutes, is enough to make me smile.

I apologize if the diversion doesn't meet your normal requirements. Sometimes I think it's just best we consciously not think about what it is we'd rather not think about in the first place.

1 Comments:

At 12:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yea good point on friends and mistakes... if you didn't make mistakes you would BE Jesus! ...After that you went off about random stuff so good job on that

 

Post a Comment

<< Home